Tuesday, May 25, 2010

JE SUIS TRÈS DÉSOLÉ!




AGAIN, I am so sorry. I am so far behind on posting. It's because my converter doesn't work in this ancient hotel and we get back so late that all I want to do is crash into my tiny bed, which I might add that I'm sharing with Megan. Good thing we're sisters, sorority sisters that is. Our hotel room is literally in the attic. The only place you can stand is around the bed, virtually no standing room, AT ALL. We had to rearrange and get rid of some furniture just so we could line our suitcases around the room. The hotel staff thinks that they compensate for the lack of space with a small flat screen television mounted on the wall. Last time I checked, it didn't work. I promise I'm not complaining, merely describing.





This short time in Paris has been amazing. I have been here since Saturday and I feel like I have been all over the entire city already. We still have until Saturday night! Yesterday, we walked to la Tour Eiffel. Since were weren't able to make reservations for our group over the phone, we had to actually go there, reserve our tickets and then wait. We got there at about 9:45 and our time wasn't until 2pm. So Dr. Picone (director, who lived in Paris for 9 years and studied at Sorbonne - very prestigious college in the heart of the Quartier Latin ) decided to take us to the Musée de L'Armée. This museum is actually a hotel for injured ex-soliders in the early 1700 (1706 was when the building was completed). Louis XIV decided it was necessary to build a place to house and care for the veterans of his war. Not only was this place a hotel, but it was also a church. The entrance to the museum is called Eglise de Dome. This is where the remains of Napoleon I is buried. His remains were brought here after Louis-Phillippe (in 1840) ordered that they be moved from the Island of Saint Helena to Paris. It is said that his body rests between five suggestive coffins.










After we walked around for a while and took pictures, we ate at this "cafeteria" that was next to the museum. The Parisian's version of a cafeteria is way different than Americans. I had a great salami and cheese sandwich (on a very large baguette). Très formidable.

We soon made our way back to la Tour Eiffel and got in line for the elevators. There was no way I was walking up after marching all over Paris. The entire area surrounding, as well as on top, was completely packed. Monday was a holiday for the French (Pentecost), so it seemed as though the entire population was crammed onto the jewel of Paris. It took about 30 minutes to make it to the top because of all the congestion. Once we got to the top, I took a lot of pictures, and the views were incredible. I have been to the top a few times, but I certainly did not remember it like that. Although we were only 324 meters up in the air, I felt like I was almost among angels, or whatever else is supposedly up there. Totally surreal. Not to mention, I got to witness a proposal! The couple was from Eastern Europe somewhere. The boyfriend handed his camera to someone to take a quick picture of he and his fiance-to-be. Seconds after the picture was taken he turned and got down on one knee. She looked absoutely shocked, but also completely in love and happy. It was so romantic, but I honestly don't think I would want a bunch of college American students staring at me if I was her - actually, I probably wouldn't even notice the gawking if it was me.






After the Eiffel Tower we took le metro back to le Quatier Latin and ate at a small Italian restaurant. Yeahhh, I know I wanted to eat at a French restaurant, but I didn't want to be 'that one girl'.




This morning (Tuesday) we had to be downstairs at 9:15. After meeting up with the group in the lobby, we made our way (by way of le metro) to Musée d'Orsay. THIS MUSEUM WAS MAGNIFIQUE. I had never been there before so I was especially excited to see what was in store. Lots of Manet, Monet, Dègas and Renoir paintings live in the old train station of a museum. Paintings aside, the building itself is crazy. Made out of metal and plaster, the entire structure is breathtaking. We had a hilarious tour guide (only spoke in French) take us around the different periods of the impressionist movement.

After posing in front of a very large elephant statue outside the museum, we headed to le Jardin des Tuileries, where we stopped at a small café. I had salade nicoise and Perrier - so French, I know. I keep meaning to take pictures of everything I eat, but I'm usually starving, so I dig in IMMEDIATELY.

Refueled and recharged, we made our way to Montmartres. It is on the home to the most amazing church in all of Paris, Le Sacre Coeur. It is located on top of a very steep hill and at the entrance of the church the entire landscape of buildings can be seen. Despite the holy site, the area itself is very sketchy. It is really discouraged for tourists to be there late at night. It is now considered to be the "ghetto" of Paris, mostly because of the red light district, and a large numbe rof immigrants and peddlers that inhabit this region.


The church itself is absolutely astounding. The entire time I was in Sacre Coeur, I could not stop humming the church hymn.."Surely the presence of the Lord is in this place, I can feel... daaa da da daaaa". With all of the candles, solemn faces and praying hands, I was positive that He was there with me.

We sat in front of the Church for a while and watched some people break dance and some others throw around some frisbees and large sticks with fire coming out of either side for sympathy euro cents. Then, since we could see a storm coming and people were hungry, we took the metro back to Les Champs Elysées. This is where the shoppers and nonshoppers (aka. the boys and girls) split. One group went back to the hotel, and the rest of us went for some retail therapy. After, a long day of walking, just what we wanted.. MORE WALKING. I guess at the moment of decisions, our feet stopped screaming. It wasn't long until our poor feet began to cry again. A few stores later, we decided to make our way back to our hotel and grab something to eat. Well, easier said than done. We had to navigate our way through the metro system, wait no scratch that, I had to navigate us. Why was I the chosen one? NO IDEA, but it was definitely scary. This was not a time for my directional handicap syndrome to kick in. Luckily after studying the metro map I somehow managed to get us back to the metro stop closest to our hotel. I must say I was very impressed with myself.


Tomorrow (Wednesday) we are free to do what we please until 3pm. We have to meet in the lobby to then make our way to le Louvre for another guided tour. After than we are going to the Opéra!!!! So excited about that. Megan and I are going back to Champs L'Esyées, La Durée (adorable macaroon shop) and hopefully find Topshop and H&M. That's all for now. BON SOIR from the city of love, lights and metro stops.

PS I PROMISE MORE PICTURES COMING SOOOON. It takes so long for them to post.

xxo Gigi

1 comment:

  1. What an exciting time for you! If you have any extra time I highly recommend the Fat Bike Tours. We took the night city tour & also the Versailles tour when we were there. American's run it & it is fun (and easy bike riding) for all ages. Soak up all of the culture!

    ReplyDelete