Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Obsesh with pie crust

I've developed an obsession with pie crust. I think it might be because one can purchase a box of two at the grocery store, and leaving only one task: unrolling the dough. The hard workers at Pilsbury do the dirty work for me. Sunday I made the blueberry-peach galette. Last Tuesday I made a banana-chocolate-walnut chess pie. There were very ripe bananas and I did not want banana bread. I wanted something with chocolate and lots of sugar. Here is the basic recipe for Chocolate Chess Pie: You can add whatever your little heart desires: strawberries, orange zest, pecans, walnuts, chocolate chips, coconut - virtually anything. Live a little.

Chocolate Chess Pie
Adapted from Fresh Easy Fast

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon bourbon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 purchased frozen 9-inch pie crust

  • Whipped cream

Preheat oven to 325°F. Place baking sheet in oven. Stir butter and chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth.

Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes.

Whisk sugar and eggs in medium bowl to blend. Whisk in chocolate mixture, then bourbon, vanilla and salt. (I added Pecans to this one, my third chocolate chess pie of the summer). Spoon filling into crust.



Place pie on baking sheet in oven. Bake until edges of filling puff and begin to crack and center is just set, about 30 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely. Serve with whipped cream. Fresh whipped cream - not the kind in the can. Gross.


No comments:

Post a Comment